Television manufacturing technology has improved in leaps and bounds. It has come a long way since the days of the CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TVs to the LCD/LED TVs and the OLED/QLED/AMOLED/Plasma TVs available today.
LCD and LED TVs have become commonplace today with good LCD/LED TVs available for under Rs 15K.
The time is now ripe to graduate to better TV technology, namely OLED. This buying guide will clear all your doubts on OLED TV technology and make it easy for you to invest in one for your home.
Best OLED TVs in India
1. LG 55 inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV – 55CXPTA
Experience the power of self-lit pixels in one of the best OLED TVs available in India, the LG 55CXPTA. Its outstanding features include a robust AI processor to deliver a truly cinematic experience to the consumer.
- Resolution – 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160p)
- Screen Size – 55 inches
- Display – Real 4K OLED
- Smart TV – AI ThinQ
- Sound – 40W output
- Connectivity Ports – Four HDMI and three USB ports
LG, the inventor of OLED technology, offers three exquisite TV models in the CXPTA series.
They include the 55-inches, 65-inches, and 77-inches TVs to deliver wholesome entertainment to the entire family. The mind-blogging features present in these TVs help this TV rank as one of the best OLED TVs in India.
The α9 Gen 3 AI processor is one of the most powerful chipsets in the TV industry. The processor analyses on-screen content to deliver the most immersive experience to the viewer. AI Picture Pro feature optimises contrast and saturation levels to ensure higher quality visuals.
AI Sound Pro technology identifies different genres of voices, effects, and frequencies to optimise it accordingly. The Auto Genre Selection function adjusts the picture quality and sound, depending on the content type.
AI ThinQ helps you to use the LG OLED TV most conveniently. It provides enhanced entertainment by offering access to unlimited content. This TV features a user-friendly Home Dashboard to enable you to keep everything in one place and control your compatible home devices directly from the TV screen.
LG Routines feature allows you to automate the other smart home devices and get the best out of them. The unique AI Recommendation function enables you to use your voice and get recommendations on the movies/channels, based on your viewing pattern.
The Self-Lit pixels makes gaming more responsive, and your cinema content more expressive than other TVs. Dolby Vision IQ and Atmos provide the highest quality of sound to magnify your entertainment quotient to a different level.
This TV features a Film Maker Mode that enables you to watch movies in the way they show it in cinema theatres. On the content front, this smart TV offers access to unending apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ Hotstar, Zee5, and much more.
Gaming enthusiasts will love this TV as it enables them to play games at a higher standard because of the G-Sync compatibility. Visual Reality, ALLM, and eARC are features that make the gaming experience smooth.
The 1ms response time, along with Low Input Lag features, allow you to play the fastest games with absolute comfort. This OLED TV comes with an HGiG profile that makes your gaming experiences more immersive than ever.
If you are looking for realistic picture quality, this LG OLED TV is the perfect one with its Self-Lit pixels. The Sports Alert feature keeps you updated about sporting content even if you are watching other content.
OLED Motion Pro enables you to watch every bit of the action in its finest detail. Bluetooth Sound Ready features allow you to connect two Bluetooth speakers and enhance the Surround Sound experience.
2. Sony Bravia 55 inch 4K Ultra HD Certified Android Smart OLED TV – KD-55A8G
Sony Bravia TV models have a reputation for providing high-quality pictures and sound. This OLED TV comes with additional qualifications to qualify as one of the best OLED TVs available in India. Compared to the LG OLED model discussed above, this TV is an expensive one. However, it comes with excellent features.
- Resolution – 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160p) with a refresh rate of 50 Hz
- Display – OLED Display with Triluminos, 4K HDR, and 4K X-Reality PRO
- Smart TV – Built-in Wi-Fi Android TV
- Sound – 40 watts output with Acoustic Surface Audio technology
- Connectivity – Four HDMI ports and three USB ports
- Warranty – One-year manufacturer warranty
This Sony Bravia TV delivers incredible contrast with eight million self-emitting pixels, thereby offering realistic pictures with the deepest blacks and vibrant colour. The Acoustic Audio Surface technology available on this TV enables delivering of engaging sound directly from the screen.
OLED technology, with its self-illuminating pixels, provides a significantly enriched visual experience. The highlight of this OLED TV is that it combines pictures and sound in perfect harmony to deliver a captivating audio-visual performance.
The brilliance of 4K HDR clarity delivers exceptional detail, contrast, and colour with more brightness than other video formats. The lifelike pictures ensure the highest levels of entertainment for the user.
This TV comes with 4K HDR processor X1 Extreme for processing ultra-detailed pictures that upscale the images to true 4K HDR quality.
The 4K X-Reality PRO enhances every pixel using 4K picture processing technology to deliver unprecedented picture quality by upscaling content from any source to 4K HDR quality. The Triluminos Display feature maps colours from a wide range to ensure that it does not become oversaturated or appear unnatural.
Besides the Acoustic Surface Audio technology, this TV features Clear Audio+ functionality to deliver an immersive theatre-like experience with dialogue and surround effects.
The Sony Bravia OLED TV is a smart Android TV that allows you to enjoy content from apps to TV shows and movies between different Android devices. It is possible to download a range of games and apps from Google Play Store.
The Google Voice Assistant allows you to search for the content you need by speaking out on the remote controlling option. It eliminates the need for typing out the details.
This OLED TV has a built-in Chromecast facility, whereby you can cast content from your different Android devices on the large screen and enjoy it in full splendour. Connect to Amazon Prime Video and watch the latest movies and TV shows in rich 4K & HDR Playback.
This TV is compatible with Dolby Vision that can transform your viewing experience with dramatic imaging. Remember to update the software at regular intervals to enjoy these facilities.
Sony Bravia OLED TV is a Netflix-approved TV that comes with a dedicated Netflix button on the remote. It allows you to access Netflix with a single touch.
Controlling your TV and DTH with a single remote is possible because of the IR Blaster feature.
3. LG 55 inches 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV – OLED55B9PTA
LG OLED TVs rank as the best OLED TVs in India because LG is the only manufacturer of OLED panels globally. These TVs provide the highest level of entertainment, as they come equipped with excellent features. Attractive discounts on Amazon make this 55-inch OLED TV an affordable option.
- Screen Resolution – 4K Ultra (3840 x 2160p) with a refresh rate of 60 Hz
- Display – OLED Panel with AI Picture and 4K Cinema HDR
- Smart TV Features – Built-in Wi-Fi
- Sound – 40 watts output with Dolby Atmos
- Connectivity – Four HDMI and three USB ports
- Warranty – One-year comprehensive manufacturer warranty
This LG 55-inch OLED TV gives you the ultimate viewing experience as you dive into an illumination of unmatched colour combinations.
Every OLED pixel turns on and off on its own to produce an exhilarating display of picture quality. This TV defines the exact meaning of the deepest blacks and the brightest whites with its 4K Cinema HDR display panel features.
The second-generation α7 intelligent processor comes upgraded with Deep Learning AI algorithms for optimizing the processor speed and producing extraordinary graphics to deliver a matchlessly realistic picture.
Features like the availability of Google Assistant and Alexa make it easy for you to operate this TV. You can connect Apple devices to the TV using Apple Airplay 2. Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, together, create a theatre-like environment in your home.
The LG AI ThinQ Home Dashboard allows you to access connected devices from a single screen.
The high-quality processor provides a breath-taking detailed image to deliver a realistic TV viewing experience. AI Picture feature improves the output quality by optimizing the clarity and sharpness of the original content.
AI Sound functionality ensures that the TV produces optimum sound depending on the content type. AI Brightness feature optimizes the brightness levels to maintain the sharpness, irrespective of the luminance. AI Acoustic Tuning facility allows you to enjoy high-quality sound wherever you sit in the room.
OLED Black Stunning Contrast is the highlight of this TV as it creates intense colour combinations and adds fantastic depth to the images. Besides delivering high-quality pictures, this TV is compatible with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision. It is thus, the perfect medium to watch 4K cinematic content and home and enjoy a theatre-like experience.
This TV enables you to enjoy your favourite content as it allows access to entertainment apps like Disney Hotstar, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and son. LG Smart TV comes with WebOS, one of the easiest to operate.[/su_note]
This TV comes with a unique feature, a magic remote. The highlight of this unique remote is that it is equipped with Bluetooth technology. Hence, it can work in any direction. Bluetooth compatibility enables you to connect your TV to your HTS/soundbar or Bluetooth headphones wirelessly.
The Gallery Mode feature from Trip Advisor brings updated information on world-famous travel attractions on the screen. The excellent connectivity options available with this TV allow you to connect your smartphone to it and enjoy the content on the large screen.
The best aspect of OLED TVs is its minimalistic design. These TVs are some of the thinnest appliances to integrate with your home furniture and enhance the interiors.
4. LG 65 inches 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV – OLED65C9PTA
OLED TVs are available in sizes of 55 inches and more. The bigger the TV, the more expensive it becomes. Though it costs more than Rs 2 lakhs, it is worth every rupee you spend on it. Here are the excellent features that can entice TV lovers to purchase it.
- Screen Resolution – 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160p) with a refresh rate of 60 Hz
- Display – OLED Panel with AI Picture and 4K Cinema HDR
- Smart TV – Built-in Wi-Fi with α9 Gen 2 Intelligent Processor
- Sound – 40 watts output with AI sound and Dolby Atmos
- Connectivity – Four HDMI and three USB ports
- Warranty – One-year manufacturer warranty
LG is a pioneer in the field of manufacturing OLED TV panels. Hence, this OLED TV ranks as the best 65-inches OLED TV in India. The beauty of OLED is that it comprises of self-illuminating pixels that turn on and off to deliver pictures of the highest quality.
The HDR feature ensures enhancing the viewing experience by providing a range of colour options from the darkest of blacks to the brightest whites. Hence, outdoor scenes such as sporting telecasts are best viewed on this OLED TV.
This TV comes equipped with a high-quality α9 Gen 2 processor upgraded with Deep Learning AI algorithms. Therefore, speed is never an issue with this TV. Besides, you get realistic images with breath-taking details. Other LG ThinQ AI features like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa make it a pleasure to operate this OLED TV.
Further, the Apple Airplay2 feature allows you to connect your iPhones and iPads to the TV seamlessly.
LG TVs have a reputation for being user friendly. This TV is no different as it comes with a simple-to-use Home Dashboard. It allows you to connect your other compatible devices to the TV and create a daily routine. The AI ThinQ feature provides the following advantages.
- AI Picture – This feature recognises the quality of the original content and enhances its sharpness and clarity.
- AI Sound – All channels do not produce uniform audio. The ThinQ AI Sound feature analyses the audio source to convert the input audio into optimum sound, depending on the content type.
- AI Brightness – The AI Brightness function optimises the brightness in the images to deliver an excellent picture, regardless of illuminance.
- AI Acoustic Tuning – This technology senses your seating place in the hall and adjusts the quality of sound accordingly to deliver optimum performance.
The LG OLED TV subscribes to Dolby Atmos and Vision to convert your home into a theatre with cinematic HDR sound and imaging. This TV is compatible with all HDR formats, including Advanced HDR by Technicolor and HDR10 Pro.
This smart TV allows you to enjoy your favourite movies and other content by accessing apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hotstar. The LG WebOS has one of the most user-friendly UI to enhance your viewing experience.
This TV comes equipped with a Bluetooth-enabled magic remote. You can operate the remote from any direction. Bluetooth compatibility ensures that you connect seamlessly to your Bluetooth headphones and Soundbars.
The Gallery Mode feature brings renowned tourist locations on your screen, courtesy Trip Advisor. Casting content from your compatible smartphones and other devices is easy because of the Mobile Connection Overlay feature present on this TV.
OLED TVs are renowned for having a thin appearance that integrates with your other home furniture. They go on to enhance the overall appearance of your drawing room.
Buying Guide – OLED TVs
Compared to other technology, OLED is an advanced one. Therefore, the pricing of OLED TVs is comparatively higher.
That should not be a hindrance because you have to pay more to get the best.
Before we proceed with the points to consider while purchasing OLED TVs and comparing this technology with others, let us understand OLED’s concept.
What is OLED?
OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. Despite the presence of the alphabets, LED in OLED, this technology is vastly different from that seen on LED TVs.
These different points will help you to understand the technology better.
- Contrary to what many people think, LED TVs do not have LED panels on them. The panel is very much an LCD panel. The only difference between an LCD and LED TV is in the backlighting. LCD TVs comes with CFL backlights, whereas LED TVs comes with LED backlighting arrangement.
- OLED TVs are different, as these TVs feature OLED panels to produce stunningly vibrant colours. This technology is somewhat similar to phosphor production in a plasma TV. OLED does not require a backlight at all.
OLED technology is a flat light emitting technology that works by placing a series of organic thin films between two conductors. On applying electric current, it results in the emission of bright light. As OLED is an emissive technology, it does not need a backlighting arrangement.
Therefore, these TVs are considerably thinner than the regular LCD/LED TVs. OLED TVs are infinitely more efficient than conventional LCD TVs.
OLED technology has a tremendous future ahead of it. Besides producing the highest image quality, they can be transparent, foldable, flexible, rollable, and even stretchable in the future.
How does OLED technology work?
As the name suggests, OLED panels are made from organic materials that emit light on the application of electricity.
These panels produce their light, and hence, there is no need to have a separate illuminating feature.
We shall briefly discuss how OLED technology works to enable you to get a good idea of why these TVs are the best available today.
- The primary component in an OLED display is the OLED emitter. It is an organic (carbon-based) material capable of emitting light when an electric current passes through it.
- This emissive layer is sandwiched between an anode (removes electrons) and a cathode (supplies electrons).
- The organic compounds produce red, green, and blue colours in the same way as plasma technology. These colours in conjunction, create millions of colour combinations.
- Each pixel contains all the elements required for producing every colour in the spectrum.
- Modern OLED TVs use multiple layers for increased durability and efficiency, but the principles behind the technology are the same.
- Compared to other panels, OLED TVs have a perfect viewing angle.
- Every pixel is independently lit, thereby enhancing the quality of the output on the screen
There is no need to dwell deep into OLED technology, but you should know the merits and demerits of OLED technology. We shall also compare OLED with comparable technologies like AMOLED, PMOLED, QLED, and so on.
AMOLED Vs. PMOLED
AMOLED and PMOLED constitute the driving methods of the OLED display. AMOLED refers to Active Matrix OLED that uses a TFT array and storage capacitors to increase the resolution and the efficiency of the displays.
Therefore, AMOLEDs are complicated to produce, but they are found in most OLED TV screens.
PMOLED constitutes Passive Matrix OLED. It has a lower resolution (maximum of 128 x 128) and hence, limited in size. Compared to AMOLED, PMOLED is cheaper. Therefore, it is used in secondary displays or small devices.
AMOLED has utility in the manufacture of smartphones, TVs, and tablets.
Samsung is the leading AMOLED producer, especially in smartphones, whereas LG is the world’s only OLED TV panel manufacturer.
OLED Vs. QLED
Though these words sound similar, they are as different as chalk and cheese. We have seen that OLED is an emissive technology that creates its colours.
On the other hand, QLED is a transmissive technology that uses quantum dots for super-charging brightness and colour. QLED stands for Quantum Dot LED. Sony introduced this technology in 2013.
Today, Samsung is the leading manufacturer of QLED TVs and has established a working partnership with other TV manufacturers like Sony, TCL, Vizio, and so on.
LG is the sole manufacturer of OLED panels in the world. Other TV manufacturers like Sony, Philips, and Panasonic use OLED panels manufactured by LG on its OLED TVs.
Compared to QLED TVs, OLED TV technology is much more advanced in terms of picture quality, durability, and efficiency.
The fundamental difference between an OLED and QLED TV is that a QLED TV requires a backlighting arrangement, whereas an OLED TV does not. Therefore, OLED TVs are thinner and highly efficient.
OLED Vs. Plasma Technology
Plasma technology is similar to OLED technology, as these TVs do not require backlighting to illuminate the screen.
OLED TVs use a cathode layer for introducing electrons to the first layer of organic molecules. Usually, OLED TV panels feature multiple layers of organic compounds located in a super-thin glass layer.
Similarly, plasma pixel cells contain rare natural gases that illuminate from electric impulses introduced by a TFT.
The only difference is in the engineering design of the panel. OLED TV panels have a thin plexiglass-like material that contains all the colour components and TFT. Therefore, OLED TV panels are flexible and non-breakable.
The plasma TV panel is a glass envelope that encases the pixel cells. Thus, plasma panels are heavy and breakable.
Quality-wise, plasma panels and OLED TV panels are similar, with the latest OLED technology having a slight edge because of the higher degree of colour accuracy.
Points to consider when purchasing OLED TVs
We have discussed how OLED technology compares with its contemporaries. Before purchasing an OLED TV, you should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of this technology. It helps to make a better choice.
Advantages of OLED TVs
- OLED technology displays the quickest response rate because of the use of TFT AMOLED technology and organic LEDs. These TVs do not suffer from motion blur as LCD TVs do.
- Compared to other TV technology, OLED TV screens offer a perfect screen viewing angle. It is because OLED creates light, whereas other TV technology blocks light. Thus, every pixel is illuminated independently, thereby enhancing viewing angles.
- As OLED TV panels have a single solid plexiglass layer containing the colour components and TFT, they are incredibly flexible and unbreakable.
- OLED TVs use electricity to excite organic compounds encased in a plastic substrate. This technology does not require much power to operate. Hence, it should display excellent durability if the parts are not significantly taxed. However, the blue organic LED compound has a shorter lifespan compared to its red and green counterparts.
- In the future, OLED TVs can be foldable and stretchable, thereby becoming large enough to cover your entire wall.
- Compared to plasma technology, OLED TVs have a faster response rate.
- OLED TV monitors do not suffer from burn-in issues.
- The superior technology involved in the manufacture of OLED TV panels and the presence of organic materials helps to generate deeper blacks and brighter whites. Therefore, these TVs display an astounding range of colours.
Disadvantages of OLED TVs
- OLED technology is an innovative one. As it is new today, OLED TVs are highly-priced. Secondly, LG is the only manufacturer of OLED TV panels. The lack of competition is also one of the reasons for the higher pricing of OLED TVs.
- Though OLED TVs are durable and long-lasting, the blue organic LED compound (around 7000 hours) tends to fade away sooner than the red and green ones (a little less than 14000 hours).
- OLED TVs are not available in small sizes. You can find OLED TVs with screen sizes of 55 inches and more.
OLED TVs – Budget
OLED TVs are way too expensive when compared to others. We shall discuss the reasons for the same.
At the time of its introduction in 2013, it was challenging to manufacture the ultra-thin screen set. The panels were 0.17 inches thick, and LG was the only manufacturer of OLED panels globally.
Therefore, the pricing was high because of the monopoly. Now, Sony and Panasonic TVs are also available with OLED technology. Hence, this competition can bring down the pricing to manageable levels. However, the production costs are high, even today.
On the performance front, OLED TVs are the best because they combine some of the best features of both LED and Plasma technology.
The OLED TVs can produce exceedingly deep blacks and extreme contrast levels.
LG has an excellent marketing strategy for OLED TVs. People are ready to pay more to enjoy the best viewing experience provided by OLED TVs.
As long as there is demand in the market for OLED TVs, the pricing will remain high.
Here are some counterarguments in favour of OLED TVs.
- Any new technology is always expensive when introduced to the market. However, with improvements in the manufacturing process, the prices do tend to stabilise. When launching the LG 55-inch OLED TV in 2013, the international pricing was in the range of $10K.
- Today, the 65-inch OLED model is available for $2.5K, and the 55-inch TV costs $1.5K in the US market. Even in India, the pricing of the LG 55-inches OLED TV is less than Rs 1.20 lakhs (after discounts) on e-commerce sites like Amazon. In the future, the prices can go down further.
- In the future, one can expect innovative TV models with foldable and stretchable screens because of OLED technology. OLED TVs are compatible with watching 8K content. LG has introduced six separate 8K models in its line-up. This compatibility with 8K technology justifies the high pricing of OLED TVs.
We have discussed OLED TV technology and conclude that it is the best available TV manufacturing technology today.
- What is NanoCell TV? | OLED vs QLED vs NanoCell | which is better?
- 10 Best Home Theatre Systems in India (2021) | Buyer’s Guide
- 10 Best Soundbars in India For TV (2021) | Buyer’s Guide
- 9 Best 4K TVs in India (July 2021) – Buyer’s Guide & Reviews!
- 11 Best 32 inch Smart TV in India (2021) | Buyer’s Guide & Reviews!
Srinivasa is Vsbytes’s Editor-In-Chief. He Is A Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert And Has Been Interested In Computer Hardware, Software, And Gaming Right Since The Time He Was A Child.